Windows target crash if executable path contain non-English characters

I was testing an empty Haxeflixel template using “lime test windows”
and everything went smoothly, “hello world” window shows up

but
if I use “lime build windows”, and then double click on executable I just compiled
it will throw me “XXX.exe has stopped working”
exception code c0000005

the weird thing I found is that If I simply move executable to other folder which path are all English characters, the problem just disappeared

also if I add -debug when compiling then this problem is gone again

Originally I thought this is Haxeflixel’s problem but when I tested my old project that only use OpenFL, the result is same. I think the problems is probably more related to Lime or OpenFL

All library I’m using are latest version
I’m using Visual Studio Code with VS 2017 build tool

Hi, I remember something like this happening to my app with saved files in applicationStorageDirectory when username contained french characters with accent. If I remember correctly @singmajesty told me it was an issue with hxcpp.

I was hoping this would be fixed by now but haven’t tested, have you tried with latest hxcpp ?

edit : since your libs are up to date that probably means the issue is still there… I don’t see any issue open on that subject ( https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/hxcpp/issues?page=1&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen ), I think we should create one ?

so It’s been 2 weeks and there’s no lead for this bug
but I found Hashlink and the performance is almost same as hxcpp

I guess I’ll just target Hashlink instead of trying to fix broken Windows target with -release

ps: I don’t know why but haxe seems to be have many issues related to UTF-8 path
like auto completion is straight up broken in VSC if my project folder path contains chinese character

Somehow I found a better workaround
If I compile it with HXCPP_STACK_TRACE, the executable will run just fine in release mode

I hope the only downside is bloated file size and no performance hit

1 Like

Hit the same error with win10 startup and tried your workaround and it is only partially valid. It indeed helps with SOME non-askii paths, but lengthier sequences still produce startup crash.

But i found the root of the problem (i think). It is a ParseCommandLine from StdLibs.cpp, clearly visible from stacktrace. And seems the fix should be easy (imho). Filed an issue - Crash with executables for windows target when non-ASCII chars present in exe path · Issue #1019 · HaxeFoundation/hxcpp · GitHub @Matse

I would gladly help… if I wasn’t a complete noob at c++ :sweat_smile:

Not sure knowing c++ would be enough : it might require some knowledge of how things work internally.

I know that a few years ago trying to write to a file with a path containing latin characters such as “éèà” etc would lead to a crash, and this was fixed, maybe retrieving the corresponding commit would give us some light ?

I see, sorry to bother! Better leave this to hxcpp devs then. Good news method is quite “isolated”, so fix should not lead to full rewrites…

The overall filesystem stuff with unicode-charged paths works ok (files can be read/saved/folders walked/etc), the only problem is paths are not readable as string (unicode chars replaced with ascii garbage).

And this problem seems to be single reason for crashes on start, i got fully working app just by removing offensive loop from local hxcpp code (since argument parsing was not used by me at all)

No problem mate, that’s an issue I’m highly interested in : I wish I could do something !

Yup thanks for sharing that, I don’t use command line params either so far so that would fix the issue for me but yeah, I’d much prefer those character issues solved 100% once and for all ^^

1 Like

Just for the note: the crash could also happen when path to assets contains non-ascii.

See

1 Like