Using Lime alone?

Hello,

I want to get started programming in Haxe, and I figured Lime would be useful for managing platforms.

I see the Lime comes from OpenFL and is usually used with it. But are there resources on how to use Lime alone? I don’t really like the Flash API so I want to try just Lime.

Is that possible? Where do I get started on that?

Thanks!

from being a person that has dropped everything to just know HAXE/OPENFL only about 2/3 days ago, im pretty happy with the API. i kind of see it a little bit like C# and AS3 had a weird baby. but happy its not actually flash itself :wink:

ive not actually seen LIME by itself really, just that its incorporated with OPENFL.
i understand as to why you dont wat to, though i did do some AS2 many moons ago, and it has taken a bit of time to unlearn some things my most recent things like lua and c++ in favour of just using HAXE/OPENFL.

im pretty happy myself, and there is more info on getting to know OPENFL than LIME. but it is personal preference for us all :wink:

hope you find something, if not there is plenty to get stuck into and learn OPENFL :wink:

You can definitely use lime alone, and the best example would be openfl.
There’s not much documentation on it though, the common starting point would be to extends lime.app.Application https://github.com/openfl/lime/blob/master/lime/app/Application.hx

What exactly do you mean by that?

Well I just meant, Lime seems like a good layer of abstraction for platform-related stuff so I can just write my code.

I still have to write rendering code on multiple platforms, but is still takes a bit of pain away.

But as I see, there’s no documentation for Lime. I have been able to setup a project with it and I suppose I’ll look at OpenFL’s source to see how to use it properly.

The reason I don’t want to use OpenFL is that I don’t really like the spirit of the Flash API, and I want to implement my own API (which will be very simple, but enough for what I want).

I’m using lime alone without OpenFL and started with looking through code of lime-samples - I think it’s good starting point.
I’ve come to extending lime.app.Application as @ibilon said. And about platform abstraction I think too that lime is very good at providing platform agnostic window management, input, audio and it comes with good gl wrapper.

Oh I didn’t notice there were samples, I’ll give it a look then, thanks for the info

Please feel free to ask questions, we’re continuing to build as we go, hopefully (most things?) are pretty self-explanatory, but we’re also interested in feedback for how it can continue to be an asset and a great bootstrap layer to help unify (without watering down) each platform :slight_smile: