Trouble with flashdevelop setup - "library openfl is not installed"


I just installed haxe, lime and openfl following the instrucions from here on Win 8.1 x86.

I did not get any errors.

I can setup and run test projects (at least in flash so far) via command line with lime.

BUT when I try to build in FlashDevelop, the build doesn’t go through because FlashDevelop ( says “library openfl is not installed”.

I tried setting the path via “Project > Properties > SDK”, but Haxe 3.1.3 was already set there.

Can anybody help me?


What happens if you lime test flash that same project, from the command-line? Does it work, or does it throw the same error? You can also run haxelib list to see what libraries and versions you have installed, or run lime display flash to see what flags it will use to compile the project, it should include -lib openfl or -cp path/to/openfl

Hi, and thanks for answering!

From the command line, everything works fine, which is why I’m so confused.

With “haxelib list” I can see openfl 2.1.5 is installed.

“lime display flash” shows the correct path.

It looks as if only FlashDevelop doesn’t recognize openfl.

Are you running on Windows?

And if so, are you trying to compile a project on a different drive-letter than the one you have Haxe / Lime / OpenFL installed on?

Not sure if this actually makes a difference, but I would guess that even if you setup your System Variables to include the paths to H/L/OpenFL, it still wouldn’t find it from a different drive letter (could be wrong though).

Then there’s always the “Have you tried turning it off and on again” solution. Sometimes in FlashDevelop, I’d have to close and reopen it (like it’s holding a handle to the CMD window or something).


and thanks.

I am running on Win 8.1 64bit.

haxe, lime and openfl are on the same drive as is flashdevelop.

i have restarted flashdevelop, and i have restarted my computer.

No change.

OK, so I reinstalled everything haxeflixel, and it seems to work now.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Weird. Glad it’s working now! :slight_smile:

Yeah… thanks :slight_smile:

I think there was at least a problem with installing ant, which just wouldn’t get the right SDK path, so the whole install might have had a problem.

At least one lesson learned: see if everything works in the command line before wasting a lot of time setting up the entire project!