Tools for 2D skeletal animation?

This discussion is great! But it needs to be updated: what are currently the best options to create Flash-like animations and use them in Openfl projects? Both free/open and commercial/closed.

The latest one is Skeletoraxe: it looks like I can export Flash animations and use them in Openfl, right @ispebo? It is free.
Is it maintained right now? Can I use it on Openfl 3.6.1 (with Lime 2.9.1) or do I need the latest versions?

Then we have Spriter, that can export animations usable with @loudo SpriterHaxeEngine library. Spriter is not free.
Is SpriterHaxeEngine maintained right now?
Same questions: can I use it on Openfl 3.6.1 (with Lime 2.9.1) or do I need the latest versions?

Is it possible to use Spine animations? Is SpineHaxe alive and running?

Flump converter is not maintained anymore, I think: I had a try with it more than 1 year ago and ā€œhelpedā€ the developer to fix some bugs, but didnā€™t have the chance to use it further.

Other options?
I am currently stuck with prerendered animations, but it is not a viable way to create great projects.

Yes Iā€™m still maintaining SpriterHaxeEngine. There is a library for Tilemap (openfl >= 4.0.2) in the dev branch ready to be tested. I will soon add some new features that will probably work on openfl 3.6.1 first because my game still use this version.

There is a free version of Spriter. Of course there are only few features but maybe itā€™s enough for simple animations.
Anyway, itā€™s cheaper than Flash/AnimateCC.

I think Spine haxe is not maintained but I think itā€™s still usable.

Also, I found this flash converter. https://github.com/siratama/Flash-To-Haxe-Converter

1 Like

@GiG, Skeletoraxe is free (it was always the intention). It has been more than 1 years that I havenā€™t modified the code. I did not try again but I guess it should work.
If you try it and it does not work I suggest you try to solve it by changing classes.
Itā€™s simple, Skeletoraxe is composed only of 3 classes.

@loudo: I own Spriter Pro license, so it is not a problem for me :wink:
Great! Iā€™ll give it a try!

Spine looks very cool, it is a pity SpineHaxe is not being maintained, as it is becoming older and older very fast because of TileMap advent. Anywayā€¦ if I am not wrong Starling can import Spine animations, right? But if I use Starling I will have to adapt a lot of code, I think :persevere:

Iā€™ve never heard of Flash-To-Haxe-Converter, it sounds pretty straightforward! I wonder if Iā€™d better stay with Flash or Spriter.

@ispebo: will you update it to use TileMaps?

What happens if I use blendmodes in Flash/Spriter and export the animations? Do the generated code/xml/scml keep track of these informations?
Well, Iā€™d like to know more about the new rendering method with TileMap, because if it doesnā€™t support blendmodes in HTML5 yet I am still stuck with this long awaited feature.

openfl-dragonbones is working with the latest OpenFL (4.0+).

The only catch is that you have to use an older DragonBones version (2.2).

Iā€™m not sure if there is a blend mode feature in Spriter.
But one of the next feature I would like to add in my engine is : color change and shader per Spriter and then mesh deformation.

@GiG: Sorry, Iā€™m not maintaining it anymore. I committed sources so that everyone can modify / improve it at will