Tilemap Performance Question

According to this site http://themozokteam.com/playground/frameworkstest/
OpenFL bunnymark on native can run 380k bunnies @ 60fps.
However, when i run the source code available on the site, i get only max 18k@ 60fps.

Am i missing something here?
My computer is pretty old… win7, i3-2100 , ATI Radeon HD 5450 but surely the difference in specs cant account for 20x difference in performance right?
I’m running openfl 3.5 as well

Thanks in advance!

Hi!
New Tilemap API will give you performance boost.
Try this sources: https://github.com/openfl/openfl-samples/tree/master/demos/BunnyMark

Did not have any improvements… i have heard about the new Tilemap API too… wondering if im the only one whos not seeing any performance boosts…

Those tests are done with a GeForce GTX 980, which is a beast. I think it’s more than double what my GTX 970 does

Normally, you’ll have entities in your world that are simulated in real-time while they are visible on the screen, simulated at half the speed perhaps 500 pixels around the camera, and anything outside that simulated even slower again.

If you can get simulation regions (which is the “technical” term for them) working, you shouldn’t have too many performance issues anyway, regardless of what game you make with Haxe.

Of course, if you use HaxeFlixel, I believe that already have simulation regions pre-implemented so you don’t have to worry about it.

Thanks for the replies.
2 quick questions about the new tilemap API

1. There seems to be an auto scaling of some sort? I can never get it to fit the screen dimensions
    Its either too big, exceeding the window, or too small, resulting in only a rectangle in the top left corner

2. Bunnymark on my old phone (LG F5, 1.2 GHz) I can render up to 10k bunnies (WOW!!!)
    However, beyond exceeding ~10k bunnies, some drastic distortion/skewing occurs as shown below.

Have high hopes for this new rendering :slight_smile:

That’s not a defect, that’s a feature! :sweat_smile:

1 Like