Tests Don't Allow Me To Access Assets

I’m working on a project, and I’ve developed some tests for it, some of the tests ensure that my code can read a certain xml file.

When I compile my tests, I use a .hxml that looks like this:

-neko tests.n
-cp source
-cp .
-lib openfl
-lib lime
-lib flixel
-resource assets/data/my.xml@assets/data/my.xml
-main UnitTestSuite

However, when I run “neko tests.n”, I get to an area in my code that looks like this:

var content:String = Assets.getText("assets/data/my.xml");
        xml = Xml.parse(content);

and I get “Invalid field access : __s” on the second of the above lines.
When I put a trace to find the value of content, it was null.

When I publish or debug my project through FlashDevelop, I get no errors and the XML file is read just fine, the same two lines are even hit without issue.

I really stumped as to what I’m doing wrong.

When I change my hxml to look at a file that doesn’t exist, I get an error, so it’s finding the file, but when I when my code it’s like it’s empty or not found.

Thanks!

That’s not how the assets work, they need the tools to process/include them.

If you want to use -resource then you need http://api.haxe.org/haxe/Resource.html to access it.

Also your hxml is missing a lot of defines, to see what a project’s hxml looks like you can do openfl display neko.

Can you use openfl build for your tests project?

Thank you both for your replies. I’ve copied most of what I see in

openfl display

however, I’m still getting an error

Called from openfl/Assets.hx line 50
Uncaught exception - Invalid field access : new

when i run my tests.n

Ok, I finally got it to build and work. I just run these two command lines:

haxelib run lime build "Test.xml" neko

haxelib run lime run "Test.xml" neko

Now the only is that when I run these two commands, I get a neko window popping up, but all my tests run. Is there an option to not have a window popup?

Ok, now i’ve figured out I can use:

haxelib run lime test “Test.xml” neko

and it does both of the above things. So, yeah, it all works, it’d be cool if the widow wouldn’t open though, but I can’t find a way to prevent that.

We’ll need to create a window for desktop native to work properly, but perhaps we can do something to make the window remain minimized

Hey, great news :slight_smile:

We just added support for hidden windows (in development builds), enabled when using munit. This means the window should not appear when running tests :wink: