"Missing Push Notification Entitlement" on iOS store

The most recent time that I submitted my (legacy) OpenFL app to the iOS app store, I received the following warning by email:

Dear developer,

We have discovered one or more issues with your recent delivery for “Good Fences”. Your delivery was successful, but you may wish to correct the following issues in your next delivery:

Missing Push Notification Entitlement - Your app appears to include API used to register with the Apple Push Notification service, but the app signature’s entitlements do not include the “aps-environment” entitlement. If your app uses the Apple Push Notification service, make sure your App ID is enabled for Push Notification in the Provisioning Portal, and resubmit after signing your app with a Distribution provisioning profile that includes the “aps-environment” entitlement. See “Provisioning and Development” in the Local and Push Notification Programming Guide for more information. If your app does not use the Apple Push Notification service, no action is required. You may remove the API from future submissions to stop this warning. If you use a third-party framework, you may need to contact the developer for information on removing the API.

After you’ve corrected the issues, you can use Xcode or Application Loader to upload a new binary to iTunes Connect.

Regards,

The App Store team

I think this means that it looks like the app is planning to use push notifications, but I haven’t requested that privilege in my profile (but I’m far from an expert).

Now, I can’t imagine that any change I made to my source code could have caused this. I certainly haven’t added any native Apple code myself, so I have to assume the change is buried in OpenFL somewhere. I’m using the same libraries as always; I had played around briefly with extension-webview, but I removed it and re-built the app from scratch.

Can anybody explain what changed, and, more importantly, how to fix this warning?

Thanks.

I don’t think we do anything with push notifications, perhaps SDL or some extension might, but not that I’m aware of :confused:

Hi,

I just received the same warning as well. I’m using a few extensions in my app for admob, iAds, google analytics and in-app purchases but NOT Push Notifications - and I’ve not used extension-webview either

@isohedral are you using any other extensions at all? If so, it may be related to one of those and would be nice to identify if it is or an OpenFL issue.

The message, same as mine, indicates that it shouldn’t be problem if it’s not used but I haven’t progressed any further with my submission yet. So hopefully it won’t be a problem.

Greg

This is everything I have in my project.xml file related to extensions:

<haxelib name="openfl" />
    <haxelib name="polygonal-core" />
    <haxelib name="actuate" />
    <haxelib name="svg" />

I think you’ll agree that’s pretty innocuous. I’ve already received approval from the app store for external beta testing, and I’m a few days into the review period for the actual app update. Hopefully it’ll just go through. I can report back here on what happens.

Obviously it would be far better to eliminate the warning, just for general peace of mind when submitting apps.