Minimum Android API Version

I’ll try and revive my original Galaxy S and see if it works. Have you tried basic things like “DisplayingABitmap”?

Hey,

‘DisplayingABitmap’ is exactly what I did try and the output above is what appeared in the android logs. The app starts and quits straight away.

Cheers

Greg

I just tested here on an original Samsung Galaxy S, “DisplayingABitmap” is working fine. On your device, two different ideas, perhaps an old version is installed, but with a newer build number, so it is treating it as newer, and not overwriting it. You could try going to “Settings > Applications” and uninstalling it, then trying again. Another possibility is that the device does not support OpenGL ES 2.0, we no longer support OpenGL ES 1.1 as we did in the past

Hmm. I’ve uninstalled and re-built and unfortunately got the same result. Maybe it’s just something with my phone - a Huawei U8510 (Ideos X3).

Running the OpenGL Extensions Viewer app it reports my phone, as I beleived is, is OpenGL ES 2.0 (with GLSL 1.0 which I understand is correct for Android).

I’m gonna try running against an AVD running on 2.3.x to see if that works.

Wll let you know. Thanks for trying your device.

Greg

I tried this in an emulator for API 10 and I get these errors:

Could not find method android.view.View.setSystemUiVisibility, referenced from method org.haxe.lime.GameActivity.onStart

Could not find method android.app.Activity.onTrimMemory, referenced from method org.haxe.lime.GameActivity.onTrimMemory

This is with a new HaxeFlixel project, although I suspect OpenFL/Lime and not HaxeFlixel (yet) based on the errors.

Any thoughts @singmajesty ?

Thanks, I just put in some guards around those calls, I’ve tried some other samples on my 2.3 device and they are working fine, so hopefully this is nailed.

I didn’t see your commits to openfl/openfl on GitHub. I suppose you didn’t push your changes yet.

Once you do, how do I test this? Is there any way to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling OpenFL using a zip download of the GitHub repository? (I’m pretty new to Haxe/OpenFL still).

It’s in Lime, we might be close to a release, otherwise you could just test the changed manually.

If you’re familiar with GIT, you can clone the Lime repository using the instructions on it’s README.

Otherwise, the changes are in a couple Java files, like this: https://github.com/openfl/lime/commit/7a3617fc7819534ef5823a44bb20a86896b0956f

Oh, I see – Haxelib allows me to specify a location without touching the existing location, so I can switch back and forth without much work.

I’ll wait for a release. I am close to releasing my game, but I still need a few more days.

Do you have an approximate ETA for the release?

probably in the next week

That soon? I’ll definitely wait it out.

Also, what are the official “channels” for release? Is it possible to get email notification (eg. via a mailing list), or is there an RSS feed I can tap into?

Back to this one again - I’m still not able to run on my old 2.3.5 device nor in the emulator with a similar 2.3.x version. This was using the latest limes - either 2.0.6 Lime and I also tried the latest lime dev repo.

Another post is reporting similar issues : Doesn't run apk on old Android API [SOLVED]

I recently changed the emulator in dev to use X86, I’m not sure how old of an emulator would work, as I (think?) that older API emulators do not support host GPU mode, which means that the GLES2 API breaks.

Do you get any specific errors trying on a device?

I’m still seeing these messages in the logs on the device when targeting min-android-SDK=10

but there is a lot of other guff being produced in the log so it’s difficult to narrow it all down to something specific.

That’s strange. Both of these are guarded by version checks, the onStart call to setSystemUiVisibility is behind something that should work for only API 16 or newer devices (the method itself was added in API 11) and the onTrimMemory call is added for API 14 or newer devices.

Just saw another post about a similar issue, perhaps we need to use Java reflection on these calls

When I had a look at the code I noticed the guards and equally couldn’t understand why the calls were seemingly being made.

I think I read something about some systems reading the whole Java file and throwing up its hands “I don’t know what that is!” before it even executed the code

I’m targeting version 19. Getting this error:

...\Android SDK\tools\ant\build.xml:601: The following error occurred while executing this line:
...\Android SDK\tools\ant\build.xml:653: The following error occurred while executing this line:
...\Android SDK\tools\ant\build.xml:698: null returned: 1

Using the following in Project.xml

<android target-sdk-version="19"/> 
<window hardware="true" allow-shaders="true" require-shaders="true" fullscreen="true" if="cpp"/>
<window vsync="true" antialiasing="1" if="cpp"/>
<window orientation="landscape" if="cpp"/>

openfl: 3.5.3
hxcpp: 3.2.94
lime: 2.8.2

I tried lime -clean as suggested on StackOverflow. Also have the latest SDK. still getting the error.

Would you mind trying an OpenFL sample, and see if it works for you?

I think Ant might have some difficult to understand errors, which might occur from spaces in your directory path, or spaces in the project or output file name :confused: