How to upgrade to HAXE 3.4.xx

Is there a recommended way to upgrade to Haxe 3.4.xx? The official install still seems to be 3.2.1.
What do I need to look out for?
Will openfl legacy via the old openfl/lime versions still work with Haxe 3.4.x? If not, is there any way to have dual installations of Haxe?

With the latest OpenFL and Lime, we now recommend Haxe 3.4 downloads:

http://www.openfl.org/download

Haxe 3.4.2 for Mac and Linux, Haxe 3.4.3 for Windows, have been stable in our tests.

Let me know if you have any issues!

One of my questions was if openfl legacy will still work if I upgrade to Haxe 3.4.x

Oh, I believe it will not without some patching, but we do support Haxe 3.2.1 still in current OpenFL and Lime. Haxe 3.4.2 is required to use the Lime extension for Visual Studio Code, though

I feel like you should talk this out rather than including these passive-aggressive notices. (I know this is the pot calling the kettle black here, but it’s still true.)

For what it’s worth, I’ve never had problems with the official (haxe.org) installers.

I tested official Linux packages for Haxe as recently as Haxe 3.4.2, and it did not work on Linux. It failed when using libraries (such as Lime) that depend upon Neko native libraries.

We’ll remove the Linux installer script when it no longer seems needed.

We can update our recommendations after further testing.

We didn’t recommend Haxe 3.4.2 until recently, when Haxe 3.4.3 came out for Windows.

The Mac package installer for Haxe 3.4.3 wasn’t working when tested, but we can try and test again later:

…though I am not worried as much on the difference between Haxe 3.4.2 or Haxe 3.4.3, since they are probably similar (though that C++ closure fix is nice)

Haxe 3.4.2 has been stable for all users I know of (including myself) based on our Linux installer script. I could try and test the official PPA again in the future. After Haxe 3.4.3 failed on macOS, I stopped testing and left them at 3.4.2 (which are known to be stable builds) until there’s more time :slight_smile:

I’m sorry if this sounds passive-aggressive, legitimately, we’ve seen issues from users before. I’m happy to reword if you think we could make it sound more positive and helpful – that’s the goal, anyway :slight_smile:

There’s been many more, but here’s a quick example:

It’s not the wording that’s passive aggressive. It’s the fact that both download pages explicitly tell you not to use the other download page. It makes it seem like you’re competitors rather than allies.

At the very least, I feel like you should acknowledge the message on the haxe.org page (and vice versa).

This was the first I’d heard of it :confused:

Sounds like someone got mad

Oh, I believe it will not without some patching, but we do support Haxe 3.2.1 still in current OpenFL and Lime. Haxe 3.4.2 is required to use the Lime extension for Visual Studio Code, though

Actually, 3.4.2 works just fine with Flixel 4.3.0, OpenFL 3.6.1 (legacy) and Lime 2.9.1 in my experience. The latest hxcpp Haxelib release is making trouble though.

2 Likes

Current Lime knows how to lime rebuild hxcpp mac or whichever target you need, but I’m not sure if it knew how back then