Haxe version does not support JSON-RPC

After the latest OpenFL, Lime, Haxe updates, when I open a project in Visual Studio Code for macOS, I get this warning:

Unable to build cache - completion features may be slower than expected. Try fixing the error(s) and restarting the language server.

The associated error message is:

Haxe language server started
Listening on port 6000
Haxe version does not support JSON-RPC, using legacy --display API.
Building Cache…
Failed - try fixing the error(s) and restarting the language server:

How do I fix this?

Do you have Haxe 3.4.3 or greater installed?

Have you built your project successfully at least once?

I’m using Haxe 3.4.7 and it happens on all projects, even previously completed projects.

The source seems to be the Haxe v. 2.4.0 extension by nadako. If I try to disable it I get the message “Cannot disable extension ‘Haxe’. Extension ‘Lime’ depends on this.”

I never had this problem before and so far I can still do a build successfully. A few times a build seems to hang and I have to quit VSC, restart it and build again. That didn’t happen until after getting the “Unable to build” warning. I’m concerned that a future update to OpenFL, Have, etc. will make doing a build impossible.

Well, there should always be the command-line, though I do know that the extension for Visual Studio is increasingly designed for the Haxe 4 preview, which is continuing to add better IDE support

Haxe version does not support JSON-RPC, using legacy --display API.

That’s just a warning and completely unrelated to the failure afterwards. There must be some error after the Failed - ... line?