Differences between Starting and HaxeFlixel targeting HTML5

Please, forgive me if I’m wrong. Also,
it is not my intention nor denigrate any framework nor generate a flame war.

I enjoy playing with different frameworks and it seems to me that Starling has more effects (and other features) working in HTML5 target than HaxeFlixel (also for HTML5 target).

My question is:
If both frameworks are written on top of openfl, why does it happens?
Thanks.

Starling is meant to be a hardware-only 2D display API. It does not work on canvas, desktop software fallback or other environments where OpenGL or Stage3D are not available.

HaxeFlixel is compatible with all OpenFL targets, and is designed as a 2D game framework. There’s a lot of work involved in scenes, game objects, collisions and other features that may be nice to have. I would assume that Flixel probably has more pixel-based effects (think BitmapData) where Starling has more shaders (HW filters) available.

I expect to see more HW-based shader effects for standard OpenFL or probably Flixel in the future.

It depends on what you’re building?

(I just use straight OpenFL myself)

@singmajesty Sorry for my poor English. I failed to explain my doubt.

I’m referring to haxe implementation of Starling.

HaxeFlixel behaves wonderfully on all platforms but on HTML5.

I mean, many visual effects don’t work very well or don’t work at all (I compiled all demos for both Flash and HTML5 to compare the results and posted about it on HaxeFlixel forum).

At first I thought it was due limitations on support provided by HTML5 libraries of openfl.

Then I checked the demos provided by the port of Starling to openfl and all of them work very well on both Flash and HTML5.

Also, it seems that HTML5 versions of Starrling-openfl are more fuid, and have better performance than HTML5 versions of HaxeFlixel.

So my assumption that openfl’s HTML5 backend was the culprit by the problems of HaxeFlixel HTML5 demos seems to be wrong.

HaxeFlixel might be locked to an older version of OpenFL, which used canvas instead of WebGL as our default rendering backend for HTML5, I’m not sure about visual effect feature support

It is.