2018 Android new target API level

Hello, recently, I came across this post: https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/12/improving-app-security-and-performance.html
It basically states that new apps need to target SDK 23 and supply both a 32 and 64 bit version. I was wondering if that is an option in OpenFL/Lime?

Yes, you can change your target SDK version like:

<config:android target-sdk-version="23"/>

Based on the above link, though, we may end up advancing it ourselves to a higher version.

We don’t support ARM64 yet in the tools for Android, but it probably isn’t terribly complex. I’ve opened an issue:

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, that is good to know. Thanks for your reply!

1 Like

August 2018: New apps required to target API level 26 (Android 8.0) or higher.
November 2018: Updates to existing apps required to target API level 26 or higher.
2019 onwards: Each year the targetSdkVersion requirement will advance. Within one year following each Android dessert release, new apps and app updates will need to target the corresponding API level or higher.

Source: https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/12/improving-app-security-and-performance.html

Is enough to add this to the project.xml file?
<android target-sdk-version="26"/>

EDIT: i just tried that but it seems the target is set internally to 17

I think you just need to add config: before android, so:
<config:android target-sdk-version="26" />

1 Like

Thanks, i just tried with the config:android tag but it says
is targetting the api level: 17 still

Hmm, I’m trying to remember the steps I had to go through. I believe I also had to download the SDK I wanted through Android Studio’s SDK Manager, and the <config:android target-sdk-version /> setting tells Gradle which version to look for, so my setup looks something like this (Mac based):

In /Users/me/Library/Android/sdk/platforms/ I have the SDK version I’m targeting downloaded.
After running openfl build android, if I check my export directory in android/bin/ I look at gradle.properties to make sure the target sdk version is correct (can also check local.properties to make sure the sdk directory path is correct).

I recall having a few headaches getting everything working how I wanted, but I think most of it was in Android Studio and not with my build settings.

1 Like

Thanks again, i will try that

I’m about to update my SDK/NDK and would like clarification before I do.

My current SDK platform is API 19 and build tools 24.0.1.
My current NDK is r13b

I’m planning to install API 26 but I’m not sure which build tools to install, or if we can still use 24.0.1.

Also, can I uninstall all older versions of SDK. For some reason I still have API 16 installed and at one point (a few years ago) I needed it in order to compile, so I left it.

Is there a doc somewhere that shows the most recent supported SDK/NDK versions and other required installs? Seems like I run into this problem every time I try to update and the installs are quite large :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

I believe we target API 19 at the moment, new build tools / platform build tools is great. You should be able to use newer SDK API versions, no problem with testing that.

Android NDK support is currently r15c and older, until the toolchain in HXCPP is fixed

thanks for the the fast reply!

When you say “new”, do you mean I should install the latest build tools 28.0.1 and platform tools 27.0.1?

Last I tested Android, I installed the latest of both and it appeared to work fine, in fact, using old versions didn’t work properly with the version of Java I had on my system, or some other things I was trying to do. I believe you can use the latest of the tools without issue

1 Like

Today I updated Android SDK and NDK to latest but was having problems until I downgraded the NDK to 11c.

deadline is november 1st correct? :confounded:

Yes, but I think there is no problem there. The guideline says that the SDK should be updated It doesn’t say anything about the NDK. I think there is no problem with that at the moment.

I only posted because I think that a lot of people is going to have the same issue.

oh alright, my bad for mis reading thanks for the info.

New Lime release yesterday targets an updated SDK level

4 Likes