New Chrome policy for autoplay

Hi,
we are investigating about a problem with Chrome: it looks like, starting from April 2018, a new policy for inhibiting autoplay of multimedia content has been introduced. The consequence is that in certain conditions audio is disabled, maybe because of unusual URL detection.
I knew Chrome was going to block autoplay for clips, but not for applications…

Anyone knows/encountered this problem?

Well, yesterday I compile one game and have some issue with audio, but wasn’t sure it’s what’s about.
I found this (http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/37399-games-sounds-suddenly-stopped-playing-and-browser-console-says-the-audiocontext-was-not-allowed-to-start/) I have same problem like this.
Is this the same issue?

Yes, this should be the same problem.

Any idea where to fix it as suggested on previous link?

sound.context.resume();

Lime or howler?

Eh, I see HTML5AudioContex in Lime and WebAudioContext in Howler… @singmajesty ?

We need to resume the audio context consequently to an interaction, but… what kind of interaction (a mouse event?), and… where can I find that context to resume?

Is there anything on https://github.com/goldfire/howler.js? A newer commit, or a pull request?

Lime 6.3 (used by OpenFL 8) updated to Howler.js 2.0.9

Yes it is. Updated just 5 hours ago. I update it to newer version and problem is solved. There are still warnings in chrome but sound is playing.

Good, I will update and let you know.

I upgraded to the new Openfl/Lime versions, but now I have new problems with masks, some event detection etc…:cold_sweat:

I updated only howler.js and for now, everything is OK. :slight_smile:

Seems to work for me too.

Sorry to bother you with something that should be really simple but… how do you only update howler.js?

Download from git (you have link above) and replace it in haxelib/lime/dependencies/

Does the 2.0.9 version (used in Lime 6.3.0) fix it, or do we need a newer version?

I’m still in lime 6.2.0 and newer howler.js 2.0.10 fix the problem.

I’ve just update to Lime 6.3.0 and openFl 8.0.0 and it 's OK.

I have copied the howler.min.js file from Lime 6.3.0 lib/dependencies folder to the same folder of Lime 6.2.0.
I can’t use Openfl 8 + Lime 6.3.0 because of a problem with filters.

I noticed a very annoying problem introduced by the new Chrome policy: when my apps start I play certain sounds (like music) by default, and before the new Chrome everything was ok.

Now sounds don’t start until I interact in some way, and when I do they starts, but the sounds with a loop can’t be stopped anymore, unless I force them to start AFTER the AudioContext has been resumed by the initial interaction. Could it be that these sound effects are initialized (even if they can’t be heard) in a different AudioContext, and when context is resumed the correct reference to them is lost and can’t be controlled/stopped anymore?