Trying to embed assets for all platforms

I’m porting over the companies framework from Flash to Haxe/OpenFL. I have a plugin system that use the Flash/Flex Embed tag for images and fonts.

[Embed(source = "../../../../assets/ic/button/button_default.png")] public var Button_Default:Class;

Plus I know I can use the @:bitmap,@font,@sound and @file tag but I want to make sure this will work on other platforms as well. What is the best way to go about doing this?

Yeah, I think you can use @:bitmap, let me know if you have an issue

Do all the flash embed tags work on other platforms?

They should, we implemented macros for the non-Flash targets so they could work similarly. I think the only thing is that on HTML5, we don’t preload assets that are defined this way, so I think there can be a delay until its available

1 Like

Okay, what if the assets are in another folder that isn’t the project well that work as well? I’m still getting null when I try to grab the class.

Here is the variable being setup

@:bitmap("…/_FRAMEWORK/Camber_Core_HX/assets/ic/button/button_default.png")
public var Button_Default : Class;

Here is me calling the class

var defaultState : Bitmap = new Bitmap(Type.createInstance(Button_Default, []));

I could be wrong, but I think these use class paths to resolve the file location, rather than being relative to the class file

I’ve also done this:

@:bitmap("../../../../assets/ic/button/button_default.png")
public var Button_Default : Class<Dynamic>;
Here is the class path layout:

I think it has to extend BitmapData for the image

Try it on the Flash target first, once it’s working, try it elsewhere and see what happens

1 Like

Oh word! That worked! Here is my code!

package;

import openfl.Assets;
import openfl.display.Sprite;
import openfl.Lib;
import openfl.display.BitmapData;

@:bitmap("../_FRAMEWORK/Camber_Core_HX/assets/ic/button/button_default.png")
class Button_Default extends BitmapData { }

/**
 * @author 
 */
class Main extends Sprite 
{

public function new() 
	{

super();

trace(Button_Default);

}

}