Step by Step procedure to convert a flash game to html5

Today there is a very promising project called Ruffle,
keeping SWF intact but interpreted by Wasm module coded in Rust, the good news is AVM1 (as1/as2) and AVM2 (as3) are supported, but while AVM1 API is almost full covered, AVM2 is in early stages.
Coders and sponsors needed!!!

1 Like

Hi Guys, I am seeking the proper command line how to convert SWF file (no FLA) to HTML5 with OpenFL.

There’s a bunch of educational Flash stuff I want to save for mankind.

So, is there any method in the OpenFL syntax which gets the SWF file I drop there and returns with the HTML5 result in a folder? (I guess, this is how it should work, sorry if its wrong. :slight_smile: )

OpenFL installed, HTML5 output tested (it displayed the logo on 127.0.0.1……).
MacOS, ‘Terminal’ surface. (I’m not a system administrator.)

Thanks very much!

Hi Vendrel, I’m afraid you are mistaken : openFL doesn’t convert SWF to html5

It replicates the flash API while using haxe language, which can then export to pretty much any platform including html5. I think it can also use SWF assets (but not the as code inside them) although I never looked into that so can’t comment much.

If your projects are as3 then you can port them to openFL : haxe is very similar to as3. See https://books.openfl.org/as3-conversion-guide/ to get started. There is a lib called “as3hx” which can convert as3 code into haxe code, it’s not flawless but it can help.