Stand-Alone Neko Executables, With Neko

Well it is a security risk sure, a bad guy could put a malicious libneko.so next to a neko executable, and if this exe has some special security authorizations then he gets these permissions, but you’re not supposed to put these kind of exe in a user writable directory anyway.

So I can understand Nicolas’ concerns since you can use neko to do any kind of application, maybe that’s worrying too much maybe not.

But since it’s unlikely you’d use openfl to make a security sensitive app and not a game that’s not really a problem. Personally I think we should replace the neko template with this version, and copy libneko.so, std.ndll … too to the export folder, that way you can ship the folder to someone who don’t have neko. (@singmajesty that’s probably required for the new deploy command right?)

Hey @singmajesty @ibilon I’m not sure if you two are monitoring Andreas’ pull request. I asked him, and he said his fork of neko is on GitHub.

I don’t know yet if this goes into Haxe or not, but please keep tabs too. I’ll post here if I see any updates.

I’m hoping that pull request goes through, and that’s all we need. Even without waiting, we could include updated Neko Linux binaries in our templates, if this is all we need to solve it :smile:

If it does solve it, then I think with a little work, the cross-desktop behavior could be patched up in the tools. My intention was to make “lime test windows” use C++ by default if you’re using Windows (unless you specify -neko) but to make “lime test windows” use Neko by default if you’re not using Windows, and instead generate a Neko build

@singmajesty it solved it for me when I tested this case with Andreas’ build.

Edit: It looks like the PR is going through. Please let me know when there’s a new Lime biuld available so I can re-test my app (again).

Are there any updates on this @ibilon or @singmajesty ? The last update to this thread was about three weeks ago. I didn’t see the Haxe PR go through yet either.

Time flies, well if the pr doesn’t pass I guess the simplest would be to build neko linux ourselves with the modification and update the bundled version.
Since we’d have to change the version in the template if neko is updated anyway.

@singmajesty I’ll make a pull request.

(edit) Well it’ll have to wait a couple of hours I’m back with my main computer, for some reason neko doesn’t want to compile on my laptop

Done.

I think the PR will still go through. I’m not in a hurry to get this done, but I am concerned that there’s not much movement over three weeks.

Should we just wait it out?

Waiting for an official build won’t get us more than doing it ourselves, just later.

Thanks for clarifying. Is there an approximate timeline for the next Lime release?