[SOLVED] External call, like ExternalInterface

Hi,
I have to put my JS/HTML5 application inside an html page, and my client wants to add external button to directly access specific functions inside the JS, as if I clicked/touched specific buttons inside the application.
In AS3 it worked with ExternalInterface, how do I replicate it now? I already have a fake_MouseUp function in my application, so I can simulate the interaction with buttons even when there are no real mouseUp events, I just need to know how I can call it from outside the app JS.

Thanks

From html to openfl :

external.send(data);

in openfl

#if html5
     @:keep @:expose("external.send")
     public static function send(data:String):Void
     {
	     trace('parameters : ', data);
     }
     #end

@:keep will avoid dce to remove the function

@:expose will expose the method outside openfl app

1 Like

Great! Thanks!
Experimenting…

can I remove the “static”? I have to call non-static functions inside this one.

…and can I expose single methods directly or I need to expose the whole class?

I have now created a specific class with static methods:

#if html5
@:keep @:expose("external.triggerButton")
#end

class ExposedButtons {

public static var aButton: Button;
public static var bButton: Button;
public static var cButton: Button;

public static function triggerButton(buttonId: String): Void {
	var buttonToTrigger: Button =	switch(buttonId) {
					}
	buttonToTrigger.triggerMouseUp();
    }
}

EDIT: by exposing the method it doesn’t work, but by exposing the class it works

@:expose("external.ExposedButtons ")

-> external.ExposedButtons.triggerButton(“XXX”);

The function is shown as static here because, when the function is called by the button-pusher, there is no “object.”   If you need to refer to the method of some object, you need to first call a static function which can, in turn, find the appropriate object and call it.

I am having problems in IE and Edge, as the strict mode does not allow to use triggerButton function.
If I use @:expose("external.ExposedButtons ") I have the problem.
If I use @:expose("external.triggerButton ") directly it doesn’t throw the strict mode error, but it says the function does not exist.

@:expose("ExposedFunction")
public static function MyFunction()
{
        trace("success!");
}

This method works fine for me both in IE (ie9) and Edge. When I call ExposedFunction() in js I can see “success!” logged in the console panel.

It works! Thank you @hcwdikk !
It looks like “external.” creates some problem… maybe strict mode does not allow to use nested paths, but just direct references?

What I was doing wrong was also the position of the @:expose(“ExposedFunction”) line: it needs to be before the function declaration… it sounds obvious, right? Well, it was not for me, I put it before class name, my fault.