OpenFL tutorials

The “solved” plugin:

On our hebrew haxe forum we created a different category for “Tutorials and Articles” than the one for “Show case”. We also included tags in the forum.
Both tags and wiki are options that can be enabled from the admin panel. About solved button, I’m not sure…

Oh, and for the one in a million chance there is a hebrew user in here: http://haxe.org.il

Thanks! Added to the “Help” and “Programming” categories :slight_smile:

1 Like

Before you go ahead and rename “Showcase” (since it’s nice to advertise works that you have done related to OpenFL), I have created a wikia for OpenFL tutorials, and also for people who wish to brag about how they do things and make their lives easier (called MYLE’s).

I’ve decided to do this because I feel tutorials should have a place of their own. Forums a nice place, but tutorials can be disorganised quickly and finding them may become difficult if it gets overcrowded. More appropriately, wiki’s have automatic organisation, categorisation and formatting is easier too. This topic in itself is quickly becoming difficult to read and overwhelming.

This is in very early stages, so contributions are strongly encouraged, whether it’s in the respective Tutorial categories or the “Make your life easier” category (MYLE’s). Let me know what you think, but I am very optimistic with this approach. Also, admin requests would be nice!

1 Like

It’s not a perfect solution, but there is the http://www.openfl.org/learn page, which links to tutorials. The tutorials could be on the forums, or hosted elsewhere, and then linked to from a better organized learning section (perhaps?)

The OpenFL learn section may be the best solution I can think of, and I do realise that there are lots of links to the haxecoder website, and props to them for their efforts. Although most of the OpenFL-specific tutorials seem to be very specific, and do not have any particular order of learning. You have sections for Beginner/Intermediate and Advanced, which is all well and good.

But because they are mostly external resources, the consistency of layout and learning will differ between website, and learning style is always up to the reader as well. Video tutorials are beneficial for those who have visual learning style’s, while others learn better reading. Ideally, the learn section should have basic tutorials in itself on how to use the API that OpenFL offers, and then a separate section linking to external resources.

A good example is how Unity3D does it’s tutorials. One section is an API reference, another is well-written documentation with sample code, another section for video tutorials.

It’s a lot of information, but I would personally be willing to contribute (potentially official) OpenFL video tutorials under a specific YouTube channel. And thus that would bring me onto asking you permission to create a YouTube channel specific :slight_smile: (I’m very ambitious)

I would want the tutorials, videos, documentation, events, meetups and all kinds of other resources to fall under “learn” – there is SO much more that can be done.

I think that finding a way to balance “official” and “non-official” resources is good. There are so many people with their own styles, their own opinions but also their own experiences that have so much to offer. I don’t want to put things in a format that make these look like the “official way” when it might have some personal opinions, but I want to improve the visibility of resources people are creating, and make it easier to share.

I want to make things so easy that my kids can learn to code with OpenFL. We still have more steps to reach that point, but I think its possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha! I’ve just picked up the source code for openfl.org and playing around with Jekyll (although I’m on Windows so viewing the generated “_site” folder is a bit of a pain because none of the resources are loading properly - missing images, unformatted text etc., it just looks awful), so that I can contribute changes to the Learn page. I was thinking of a table with the following headers: “Official Resources”, “External Resources”, “Videos”, and perhaps additional columns if need be.

If I configure Jekyll better, I may be able to provide a preview, but right now it’s more of a frustration than anything else.

PS. I should also fork the Git, instead of cloning it directly (stupid me).