Just a reminder of how wonderful Greensocks are

The new GSAP 3 are out, and this reminds me of the old AS3 times, when tweening with Greensock library was fun, marvel and power! If you have tried it you know what I mean: now there is NOTHING comparable in Openfl, and creating something similar would require years to reach the same level of reliability.
AS3 was incomplete without GSAP, and I still feel the same with Openfl.

If you wonder what I am talking about look here , and here for some examples.

It looks like it was possible to use them in Openfl in some way, but now, with all the changes of the new and past releases I wonder if it is still possible and reliable.

Who knows what is the path to reach compatibility with Openfl? Creating externs? How?
Are there good alternatives to Actuate?

Greenock licensing for commercial games is “tricky” to say the least, that’s why I stay away from it. (Edit: I just went back and checked the licence: You have to pay an anual subscription if your game charges the user. It’s ok if you sell the development to a client but that client can’t sell the game. Yeeeeahhhh, that won’t fly)

There are others tween libs (comes to mind one Chinese that stecyl migrated to) but actuate just works ™

I remember using flasheff in the old times. I posted some time ago a topic about it but it seems that I never found the time to start to make such a library.

I never used Greensock because I did create content that was sold to users. I started with Tweener, then created Actuate to simulate Tweener’s functionality using GTween, then eventually supported “engines” for every tween library under the sun, before I simplified it with its own tween engine and moved on (because it was faster than all of them)

I haven’t given Actuate that same attention to detail on performance in Haxe, nor have I written the type-safe-macro version of Actuate that I think Haxe deserves

HTML5 target + Greensock should be simple with externs, but do they license any other version? ActionScript?

1 Like

Actuate is nice, but Stencyl moved to TweenXCore because the dynamic nature of Actuate caused some burden when used excessively on hxcpp targets, and we really didn’t need many of Actuate’s features.

GSAP licensing doesn’t look that tricky, look here : what do you think?

You may use the code at no charge in commercial or non-commercial apps, web sites, games, components, and other software as long as end users are not charged a fee of any kind to use your product or gain access to any part of it. If your client pays you a one-time fee to create the site/product, that’s perfectly fine and qualifies under the “no charge” license. If end users are charged a usage/access/license fee, please sign up for a “Business Green” Club GreenSock membership which comes with a comprehensive commercial license. See https://greensock.com/club/ for details.

So, if a user needs to be charged you need the annual subscription. I can sell the game to my client but I must warn my client that if they want to sell the game to their users (or micro-transactions, whatever) they can’t.

Not a lot of clients would be cool with that.

My client would inherit the annual fee?

That is actually a good question. I don’t know if he inherits the fee or you have to pay for it so that he is in the clear or both need a licence.

That is probably better explained in the legalese :grimacing:

I will ask the staff, in the meanwhile I am trying to understand how to use GSAP in Openfl, read this.

My client would inherit the annual fee?

This is exactly why companies cringe at things like GPL and other things that will come back to bite them later. Most contracts I signed said that I promised that they will have full rights and use of the code I provide. Slamming them with a yearly subscription cost seems irresponsible unless they sign up for it up-front