64-bit Android support in Legacy

Hi,

I developed an App with Haxeui V1, which depends on Lime 2.9.1 I believe. The Android Store now requires the inclusion of 64-bit architectures, and it seems support for this was added in Lime 7.5.0.
https://community.openfl.org/t/does-openfl-support-64-bit-devices-on-android/11517
https://community.openfl.org/t/does-64-bit-support-in-older-versions-of-android/11732

However, I currently seem to be stuck as the binary including 64-bit is not generated for legacy builds.
Is this correct? Or is legacy support for 64-bit also supposed to work?

I created a very simple Haxeui V1 project for testing purposes:

Project.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<project>
	<meta title="Googletest1" package="com.sample.googletest1" version="1.0.0" company="Company Name" />
	<app main="Main" path="Export" file="Googletest1" />
	<architecture name="arm64" if="android" />
	<config:android minimum-sdk-version="19" target-sdk-version="28" /> 
	<source path="Source" />
	<haxelib name="haxeui" />
	<assets path="Assets" rename="assets" />
</project>

Main.hx:

package;

import openfl.display.Sprite;
import haxe.ui.toolkit.core.Root;
import haxe.ui.toolkit.core.Toolkit;
import haxe.ui.toolkit.controls.Button;

class Main extends Sprite {
	var m_uiRoot:Root;

public function new() {
		super();
		Toolkit.init();
		m_uiRoot = Toolkit.openFullscreen();
		var b:Button = new Button();
		b.text = "test";
		m_uiRoot.addChild(b);
	}
}

Haxelib list:

actuate: 1.8.7 [1.8.9]
box2d: [1.2.3]
datetime: [3.1.1]
format: 3.4.1 [3.4.2]
haxeui-file-dialogs: [0.1.1]
haxeui: [1.8.21]
hscript: 2.1.1 [2.3.0]
hxcpp: 3.4.188 [4.0.4] 4.0.8 4.0.19
layout: [1.2.1]
lime-samples: 6.2.0 [7.0.0]
lime: 2.9.0 [2.9.1] 6.2.0 7.5.0
openfl-samples: 6.0.0 [8.7.0]
openfl: 3.6.1 7.1.2 8.9.0 [8.9.1]
unifill: [0.4.1]

This builds and generates a basic APK.
I can also set openfl from 3.6.1. to 8.9.1 without problems.

Setting hxcpp from 4.0.4 to 4.0.8 or higher does not build: Error: Source path “C:\Trunk\dev\HaxeToolkit\haxe\lib\hxcpp/4,0,19/bin/Android/libstd-v7.so” does not exist.

Setting lime from 2.9.1 to 7.5.0 builds and generates the APK with 64-bit support. But it causes a crash: Could not load module [email protected]_legacy_byte_array_init__4

Any suggestions on how to make this work?

You should be able to port to newer OpenFL using the drawQuads API (if you were relying on drawTiles)

That would be one approach.

The other would be to use the Lime “legacy” branch on Github and try and back-port 64-bit support. That would require updates to the older tools and to the Build.xml under the legacy folder as well

(You can ignore iOS-related changes in this search)

I would accept pull requests to the legacy Lime branch if you do make these changes, or happy to work with you if you’re seeing problems moving to newer OpenFL versions

Hi!
Is there any particular reason you are still using haxeui v1? I mean, its verrrry old and doesnt get updated at all… Is there some issue migrating to v2 that is blocking you? I would certainly suggest moving to v2 if at all possible :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian,

as far as I know Haxeui V2 hasn’t been officially released yet, and the last thing I heard was the dev branch not working for Android releases. Currently Haxelib lists 1.8.21 as the latest version.
Am I wrong? Should I switch to the dev branch?
Is there a document for migrating code to V2 somewhere?

Right… Yeah, there isnt a haxelib (recent) release yet… Also, its not “haxeui” (in haxelib) anymore… its “haxeui-core” and then various “backends”:

• haxeui-android (native / wip)
  • haxeui-flixel
  • haxeui-heaps (incomplete)
  • haxeui-html5
  • haxeui-hxwidgets (native)
  • haxeui-kha
  • haxeui-nme
  • haxeui-openfl <------ this is probably the one you want
  • haxeui-pdcurses
  • haxeui-pixijs
  • haxeui-qt (native / wip)
  • haxeui-winforms (native)

If you wanted to evaluate them before the haxelib release (which i hope to be soon!) you’ll have to grab core + backend from github: https://github.com/haxeui

There should be general instructions there, but let me know if something isnt clear / doesnt work.

As for migration… … … im hoping it shouldnt be too harsh… especially if you’ve used xml layouts… but its hard to know without seeing the application.

Let me know if you need a hand or something breaks… Also, fyi, there is a forum here: https://community.haxeui.org/ (which may help and might be a good place to post issues) and there is a #haxeui room in the haxe discord.

Hope that helps somewhat… :slight_smile:
Ian

Ok, I will try migrating. It does work under Android right?

It should do, yes, i havent actually tested that in a while (for haxeui-openfl)… but it should, yeah. Ill retest also when i get some time, but let me know if there are issues.

Ian