Visual Studio Code continue build after error

Is there a way to have a Visual Studio Code build not stop at the first error and keep going listing all errors?

Classic compiler behaviour. (not sure if you can force overwrite that)

The problem with showing more errors after the first would be, that all the following arent necessarily “true errors”. They might/could just be because of the first.

1 Like

Compiler errors are syntax errors, unidentified commands, incorrect or mismatched data types, etc. For that separate lines of code are independent of each other. Runtime errors usually crash the execution at the first instance where only on occasion can execution be continued after fixing the value of variable, etc.

I am trying to use OpenFl instead of Flash/Animate with Actionscript. Whenever I did a build in Flash/Animate, 99% of the time all compiler errors were identified at one time. I’ve worked with other IDEs that most if not all the build errors were identified at the same time. With my limited experience with VSC, I’ve found it interesting that it would find an error, I’d fix it and then on the next build it would find another error in the same file but in a previous line. I would think the compiler would find errors sequentially.

A few times VSC has identified several different build errors at once. It is very frustrating to fix one or more errors only to find out you have have more errors!

My remark came with a bigger structure of code in mind, for example when your Entity/Utility class fails to compile, because of a simple syntax error. All depending classes would fail too and you can easily get flooded in false-positives.

But i see where you are coming from, i converted my old as3 code to haxe too, and it can feel exhausting, to fix&recompile over and over again.
Sometimes 'Find in files/Replace in files" helps, if the error had a specific pattern.

1 Like

Just to clear something up, Visual Studio code isn’t identifying build errors, nor is Visual Studio Code stopping after the first error (or first few errors).

The Haxe compiler is doing those things. Visual Studio Code calls the Haxe compiler, Haxe tries to compile your code, Haxe stops after the first few errors, and then Visual Studio Code reports the results that Haxe found. You’d get the same result using FlashDevelop/HaxeDevelop.