How to know if it's iPhone or iPad?

With Adobe AIR, Capabilities.os returns something like:

iPhone OS 8.1.3 iPad2,1

or

iPhone OS 8.1.3 iPhone5,2

So I know if it’s iPad or iPhone.

But with OpenFL I only get:

iOS

Are there any way to know if I run my game on iPad or iPhone, without trying to figure it out using screen resolution?

haven’t saw anything in openFL directly, but one if my extension does this to know what kind of code must execute, you can see the native code here:

you must isolate this code into a separate extension that would work for you, but is a start :smile:

Thanks for help, but looks quite complicated. :slight_smile:

is not that hard, you just need to copy - paste the #define functions in your extension, and create functions in the namespace calling them and return the result, so you can call those functions from haxe with Lib.load().

plus, to know if is ipad or iphone, you can use:

[[UIDevice currentDevice].model isEqual:@"iPad"]

easy thing :smiley:

Eah, but I don’t use any extensions, except Admob, which is not mine. :slight_smile:
Also, I’m not that experienced in programming for iOS. :frowning:

ah sorry, for your posts in the gathering extension thread i supposed you developed extensions :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, but not for ios :slight_smile:

Ah, I must have seen an old copy of Cabilities.os, which (at the time) was always three capital letters, or perhaps it’s different if you’re in Flash than if you’re in AIR

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/system/Capabilities.html#os

Would be happy to have help deciding how to do this string in a way that feels consistent, but also accounts for our additional platform targets

I would not recommend an extension – you might notice that I made the default extension template in a way to mirror the architecture of how the older NME/Lime 1 legacy code, and in ways, the newer Lime 2 code, work at a native level, in order to make it simpler to integrate working extensions into the core, or to help extension developers understand how to contribute to the project.

Some things make sense as an external extension (like AdMob) but other things (like the device type) are things I think we should put in the core

1 Like

For other platforms Cabilities.os returns info the same way it’s described at Adobe Docs.
But for iPhone/iPad, it adds extra info, like device model. :smile:

Can we have something like Capabilities.device?
So, Cabilities.os returns OS, “Window 7”, “Android 4.4” (Adobe AIR returns something like “Linux 3.4.83”), “iOS 8.2” and so on.
While Capabilities.device will return “PC”, “Mac”, “iPad2”, “Kindle Fire”, “Samsung Galaxy 4”.

Answering to my question, a dirty fix could be getting screen WIDTH/HEIGHT aspect ratio and checking if it’s >=1.5 - then it’s iPhone, otherwise it’s iPad. :sunny:

I would prefer not to add anything to capabilities, but we can devise a Lime API that provides a sensible way to get the device hardware name, if we can decide what to call it and where to put it, perhaps under lime.system somewhere

How about lime.system.Device?
We can have then:

Device.os
Device.model
Device.screenResX
Device.ram

etc.

perhaps lime.system.DeviceInfo with things like DeviceInfo.operatingSystem or DeviceInfo.platformName, DeviceInfo.model perhaps

I’m not sure if screen resolution or RAM should be in here, maybe, but we not only want the full current display screen resolution, but also support for reading multiple displays (or no displays), supported display modes, etc, I’m not sure where to put that. Then there’s RAM that’s total on the system (if that’s possible), total usable, total used currently, etc

Most monitors are LCD now and supports only one display resolution/mode.
We can have then:

DeviceInfo.monitor[0].width
DeviceInfo.monitor[0].height

and also:

DeviceInfo.ram.total
DeviceInfo.ram.free

Max texture size would be really handy…

You can get max texture size by using GL.getParameter(GL.MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE);

Any news about lime.system.DeviceInfo?

I can’t find it in the library.

I think it would work like this:

for (i in 0...System.numDisplays) {

var display = System.getDisplay (i);
   trace (display.id);
   trace (display.bounds);
   trace (display.supportedModes);
   trace (display.currentMode);

}

I think you can also:

var display = stage.window.display;

…to get the primary display of your current window (in case of a multi-monitor setup)

EDIT: As for a device name, that isn’t available in Lime at the moment, I’m not immediately sure what we would return on different platforms (not sure most operating systems expose this?)

This is a old post but for those googling into this. As long as you know that you are on IOS you can always check if it is a IPad by the aspect-ratio. iPads always have a 4/3 aspect-ratio, iPhones do not!. So for haxe a easy runtime way to figure out if you are on iPad or not could be something like this.

class Apple {
    // Boolean for IPad.
    public static var isIPad(get, null):Bool;
    static function get_isIPad():Bool { 
        #if ios 
        // IPads are ALWAYS 4/3 aspect-ratio!
        var min = Math.min(openfl.system.Capabilities.screenResolutionX, openfl.system.Capabilities.screenResolutionY);
        var max = Math.max(openfl.system.Capabilities.screenResolutionX, openfl.system.Capabilities.screenResolutionY);
        return ((max/4*3)==min);
        #else
        return false;
        #end
    }
    // Boolean for IPhone, or better said NOT IPad. :D
    public static var isIPhone(get, null):Bool;
    static function get_isIPhone():Bool {
        #if ios
        // IPhones are NEVER 4/3 aspect-ratio! 
        return !isIPad;
        #else
        return false;
        #end
    }
}

Now Apple.isIPad should only be true only when on a iPad, and Apple.isIPhone should only be true when on a iPhone.!

EDIT: Got rid of the landscape fixation!

3 Likes