Debugging iOS, hxcpp, obj-c

Hey,

so far I haven’t come up with a good way to debug hxcpp on iOS devices and when running into errors I either go through a painful process of putting in traces / uncommenting lines or I just have to use intuition to hunt down bugs. Do you have any advice on how to improve that process or on how to attach the xcode debugger in a meaningful way to the project? So far what Ive got from hxcpp seems pretty cryptic to me.

Also represents this post the state of things atm?

cheers
Jery

1 Like

Not familiar with ios,

but openfl should generate a xcode project, did you try compiling/running it from xcode?

jeah thats what I ment with I only get crpytic hxcpp output. When you start it in xcode and you run into a crash, then it shows you either assembly or hxcpp and neither convey enough information to debug in a meaningful way.

Sorry, kinda late, but oh well…

The issue #25 on the vscode-hxcpp-debug is fixed, so that should represent good progress toward stability. Note that you need to use a recent version of the hxcpp-debugger for it to work. e.g. install from git:

haxelib git hxcpp-debugger https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/hxcpp-debugger

However, as you can see in the plugin screenshot below, you can set breakpoints in your Haxe code, but all the watch variables are still in hxcpp’s cpp output – that is, lots of tmp# variables that don’t map directly your Haxe variables… maybe @Hugh_Sanderson has improved this since the screenshot? Even so, maybe it’ll help make sense of the stack traces.